The exponential growth of the number of Internet hosts has been well
documented in the trade press. The research community, however, has
not seen many systematic empirical studies of how the Internet
topology evolves over time and in space. Most recently, the authors
of [FFF99] report on several power-law relationships observed
on Autonomous Systems' (AS) connectivity degree, degree frequencies,
and the neighborhood size within any given hop count from an AS. This
pioneering work represents a first important step toward a better
understanding of the dynamic nature of Internet topology, a topic we
explore further in this project.
This project is supported in part by NSF Grant No. ANI-0082287, by
ONR Grant No. N000140110617, and by AT&T Research.
Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or
recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s)
and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation,
the Office of Naval Research, nor those of AT&T Research.
Tools & Data:
- To Peer or not to Peer: Modeling the Evolution of the Internet's AS-level Topology, in Proc. of IEEE Infocom, 2006.
- An Empirical Approach to Modeling Inter-AS Traffic Matrices, in Proc. of ACM Internet Measurement Conference, 2005.
- Towards Capturing Representative AS-Level Internet Topologies, Computer Networks Journal, Volume 44, Issue 6, pp 737-755, April, 2004.
- Internet Connectivity at the AS-level: An Optimization-Driven Modeling Approach, in Proc. of ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on MoMeTools, 2003 (extended version, Tech Report UM-CSE-475-03).
- Network Topology Generators: Degree based vs. Structural, in Proc. of ACM SIGCOMM, 2002.
- Inet-3.0: Internet Topology Generator, Tech Report UM-CSE-TR-456-02.
- Towards Capturing Representative AS-Level Internet Topologies, in Proc. of ACM SIGMETRICS, 2002 (extended version, Tech Report UM-CSE-TR-454-02).
- The Origin of Power Laws in Internet Topologies Revisited, in Proc. of IEEE Infocom, 2002.
- Scaling phenomena in the Internet: Critically examining criticality, in Proc. of the National Academy of Sciences, 2001.
- Does AS Size Determine Degree in AS Topology?, ACM Computer Communication Review, October 2001.
- Network Topologies, Power Laws, and Hierarchy, Tech Report USC-CS-01-746.
- Inferring AS-level Internet Topology from Router-Level Path Traces, in Proc. of SPIE ITCom, 2001.
- Internet Path Inflation Due to Policy Routing, in Proc. of SPIE ITCom, 2001.
- Inet: Internet Topology Generator,
Tech Report UM-CSE-TR-433-00. Addendum
Characterizing Network Topologies and Analyzing Their Impact on Protocol
Design, Tech Report USC-CS-00-731.